So what can teachers earn by selling classes to learners on WiZiQ? We have already discussed this before. This post is in continuation of that. We would charge very little--only to cover the transaction fee and administrative overheads--if teachers help sell their own class, and charge a 'sales fee' or commission (we hope to make money this way) if WiZiQ helps sell a teacher's class. So based on this idea, here is a commission structure we decided; we will charge:
- 5% + $0.20 per sale if the teacher facilitates the sale
- 25% per sale if WiZiQ helps sell the class
For paid private classes
Since we don't post such classes on our public class listings, we understand that they are sold by the teachers and so we will charge only 5% + $0.20 per sale.
For paid public classes
We have identified that there are 4 different ways public classes are sold:
- Teachers invite students from their WiZiQ contact list. This way we know that the teacher who held the class and the paying student who attended were contacts; so we would charge only 5% + $0.20 per sale.
- Teachers invite students by entering their e-mail addresses in the WiZiQ class invite box or import from their webmail accounts. This way too we know that the teacher and student were contacts; so we would charge only 5% + $0.20 per sale.
- Teachers invite students by sharing the class URL: 1. Via their e-mail program, say Gmail or Outlook 2. By posting it on blogs, Facebook or other social networks, Moodle or their own website. This way too we know (from the URL) that the student joined the class due to the influence of the teacher and so we would charge only 5% + $0.20 per sale.
- Through WiZiQ Public Class Marketplace where all the public classes are listed. This is where we know that the student bought the class because it was listed on the WiZiQ Marketplace, we will charge a 25% commission.
Now, in our brainstorming session, there was only one case where there was no way for us to find out if the student knew the teacher outside WiZiQ during the sale of the class. This teacher asked his students to visit WiZiQ.com, look for his class in the list of public classes and buy (register for) it. Since there is no way for us to be sure in such cases, we have decided to charge a 25% commission.